In order to effectively carry out working with the Router Table, we need to follow some pre-defined rules. The present article on, Top 10 Router Tips and Tricks You Should Know Right Now! is a compilation of some rules that we need to follow while carrying out woodworking on the router table.
Going through each of them will surely make your working easier with the Router Table.
Router Tips and Tricks while using a Router Table – Top 10
- Router Tips and Tricks while using a Router Table – Top 10
- 1. Using the Feather Board
- 2. Take care of the boundaries
- 3. Application of a Template
- 4. Using a Base Plate for Measurements
- 5. Having Ramp on the Template
- 6. Adding a board in the front of Sled
- 7. Using Clamps while cutting
- 8. Setting the proper alignment of blade
- 9. Considering Down Cut Bits
- 10. Application of Guide Boards for Cutting Wider Workpiece
- Safety tips while using a Router Table
Here are some of the Router Tricks that we all must know while using a Router Table. With the help of these tricks, we will be easily able to carry out our work with the Router Table without any kind of trouble.
1. Using the Feather Board
A feather board is perhaps a good option for beginning with the cutting procedure on the Router Table. As we all know the main purpose of the feather board is to support the structure of the workpiece.
Hence, with the use of this board, we can easily cut the accurate profiles from a wooden workpiece with an ease. Even though we have to make small cuts, this board holds them in a proper position.
Therefore, you wouldn’t need to take a lot of care of your workpiece. With a minimal amount of effort, you can easily carry out the cutting of the wooden piece on the Router Table. Whether the hole is large or small, it wouldn’t make any kind of difference to the router table.
2. Take care of the boundaries
Sometimes, we don’t require forming a flat workpiece. Forming a round workpiece, with curved edges and circular profile is also necessary. Due to this, it is essential for us to take care of the boundaries of the workpiece. Perhaps, we will be forming a workpiece with accurate dimensions in any kind of profile.
3. Application of a Template
We often require shaping the same kind of workpieces with the use of a router table. For accomplishing this task with less amount of efforts, we can use a template or pattern bits.
All we have to do is to adjust the bits or templates on the wooden workpiece. In this manner, it becomes extremely easier for us to make cuts on the identical pieces with an ease.
4. Using a Base Plate for Measurements
Creating a customizable base plate will surely benefit you to a greater extent. We can use this base plate for carrying out various kind of measurements of the workpiece.
This will enhance the accuracy of the workpiece that we are preparing on the router table. Apart from that, we can also form intervals on this base plate for allowing the quick changes.
This router tricks will save a lot of time that you’d spend during the cutting operation. Moreover, you will be easily able to form multiple workpieces of the same kind of profile.
5. Having Ramp on the Template
For making the cuts on the wooden workpiece with fewer efforts, we can also try putting the ramp on the template. We can put the ramp all across the workpiece, right beginning from the start until the end. Due to this, our cutting procedure will become very much simple.
6. Adding a board in the front of Sled
There is also a situation in which we require cutting the workpiece of an uneven profile. Such kind of situation arises when we have to form the sleds.
In order to produce a stable joint that wouldn’t deform easily, it would be better for us to add a board before the sled.
We also have to add up a pair of boards over the workpiece for preparing better kind of joint. This will eliminate the issue of subtle profile that might be occurring because of the uneven base.
7. Using Clamps while cutting
In order to effectively cut out the workpiece, we can also make the application of clamps. The main purpose of these clamps is to keep the workpiece in a stable position.
Due to this, it becomes extremely easier for us to take on the heavy cuts on the workpiece. This will provide a lot of strength to the setup and make our cutting procedure pretty much effortless.
8. Setting the proper alignment of blade
The cutting process deteriorates when making a cut with the blade over 40 degrees of angle. Hence, there is a requirement of setting the proper alignment of the blade for making cuts at higher angles than 40 degrees.
Perhaps, trying out a Chamfer bit with the table saw will make it easier for us to make cuts at angles on the workpiece with an ease.
9. Considering Down Cut Bits
For making cuts without producing unnecessary chips, we can make use of down cut bits. With the help of these down cut bits, we can easily make cuts smoothly on the workpiece. This will give an accurate cutting profile to the workpiece that will be accurate in nature.
10. Application of Guide Boards for Cutting Wider Workpiece
Cutting the workpieces with a wider profile is a tough task. But, taking the help of guide boards, we can easily make cuts on a wide workpiece. All we have to do is to adjust the workpiece in the pattern.
Although with the wide workpiece it is a tough task for us. Taking the help of a pair of guide boards, we can easily install the workpiece on the table. And the cutting of the wider workpiece will become a lot effortless for us.
Hence, with the help of the above-given router tricks, our operation and working with the router table will become extremely easier. You will surely find a lot of relief with the help of these router tricks.
Safety tips while using a Router Table
After going through the Router tips and tricks, it is also essential for us to determine some of the safety tips that we need to follow while using a Router Table. Here are those safety tips:
- For protecting your eyes and ears while working with the Router Table, we would recommend you to have some proper eye and ear protection. An eye protection glass and a hearing aid is perhaps a good choice for trying under such circumstances.
- While carrying out the maintenance or during changing the drill bits, we must switch off the router table. Otherwise, mishandling of the table might cause severe accidents.
- Instead of taking a heavy cut, we must enforce on taking multiple lighter cuts. This will make the cutting procedure effortless for us and will avoid the loss to the sharpness of tool. It will also increase the tool life of the cutting tool.
- Putting more amount of load on the router affects its working. This, in turn, reduces the life of both, the equipment as well as the cutting tool.
- For protecting your hands from any kind of injury as well as accident, trying out push blocks is a good option. They will save you from getting injured.
- Before you start working with the router, we must check the position of all the fitting accessories such as clamps, drill bits, locking devices and everything else.
- We must be careful to not to operate the router in hot and humid climate. This will cause disturbance to the system of the router table.
- While starting of the router, we must hold it tightly. There is a danger of imbalance of the router table when you start it initially.
- Carry out the maintenance of the router table frequently. This will save you from the unexpected breakdown of the appliance. Apart from that, we must also make the cuts in counterclockwise direction for levying less amount of efforts.
Our present article, on Router Tips and Tricks, lets us know about the things that we can try out without a router table. With all the given router tricks, our task of routing on the table will surely become a lot easier.
Hence, we mustn’t resist trying them. Apart from that, we have also provided with some safety tips that we have to take care of while using a router table. Most of the time, we discuss such tips and tricks on our popular website for our users' safety.