For effectively carrying out woodworking at our home, we require a Drill Press. The cost of a press is much higher. Therefore, we must be careful while making our choice regarding the press. With this compilation on, 10 Best Drill Press Reviews of 2019 – Top Models we are going to explain you about the various presses available in the market.
A proper study of each of these presses will surely get you an appropriate press which will last till a long period of time.
A drill press is among the most widely used machines in a Machine Shop. Due to this, we can’t avoid its importance. There are plenty of points, we need to keep in mind while buying a Drill Press. However, If you are just looking for our picks of the year, you can find it below.
At a Glance: Best Drill Press Reviews
- At a Glance: Best Drill Press Reviews
- Types of Drill Press
- Best Benchtop Drill Press Reviews of 2019 – Our Top 5 Picks
- #1. Recommendation: WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
- #2. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
- #3. Genesis GDP1005A 10″ 5-Speed 4.1 Amp Drill Press
- #4. Craftsman 10 in Bench Drill Press
- #5. Shop Fox W1667 1/2 HP 8-1/2-Inch Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press
- Best Floor Drill Press Reviews of 2019 – Our Top 5 Picks
- #1. Recommendations: JET J-2500 15-Inch 3/4-Horsepower 115-Volt Floor Model Drill Press
- #2. Klutch 13in. Floor Mount Drill Press
- #3. WEN 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press
- #4. Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Floor Drill Press
- #5. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
- Buyers Guide To A Drill Press
- Functioning of the Press
- Safety Considerations to keep in Mind
- How to make a Drill Press Stand?
- An Introduction to Various Drill Press Parts
- How to use a Drill Press?
Benchtop Drill Press: WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press – Offering the users to choose from five different speeds, the WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press is our Best Drill Press of a Benchtop type. Furthermore, it is offering all the necessary features at a convenient cost, which makes it a top pick for our place.
Floor Drill Press: JET J-2500 15-Inch 3/4-Horsepower 115-Volt Floor Model Drill Press – Having a rigid structure, the JET J-2500 15-Inch 3/4-Horsepower 115-Volt Floor Model Drill Press is capable of carrying out tough tasks with an ease. Due to this, it is our top pick for Best Drill Press of a Floor type.
Types of Drill Press
There are mainly two types of Drill Press available in the market. One is the Drill press of a bench type and another is the Drill Press of Floor Type.
Drill Press of Bench Type
We can find the application of Drill Press of Bench Type at the places where we have to make holes in the small size workpieces. Handling as well as storage of these machines is a little bit difficult. Due to this, we have to take extra care of them. Apart from that, they aren’t capable of making heavy cuts. Hence, we can’t overload them or else it might affect the mechanism of the drill press.
Drill Press of Floor Type
The main application of the Drill Press of Floor type is at the places where we have to employ heavy duty jobs. We have to establish the foundation of this machine on the floor. These machines supply us with a tremendous amount of power. Due to this, it is capable of making large and heavy duty cuts on any kind of workpiece.
Best Benchtop Drill Press Reviews of 2019 – Our Top 5 Picks
Here are our top 5 picks for the Best Drill Press under Benchtop category. Kindly go through their review, merits as well as demerits of owning them and make a proper decision with regards to the choice of your press.
#1. Recommendation: WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
Available at a convenient cost, there are plenty of perks of owning the WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press. It is a standard Benchtop kind of Drill Press, with the help of which your drillings tasks will become a lot easier. We will be able to choose a variety of speed while working with it, which makes this press extremely versatile for the usage.
We can easily locate the speed of this press anywhere in between 620 RPM to 3140 RPM. Due to this, making holes in small to large size workpiece becomes a simple task for us. Moreover, this features also elongates the life of the tool in the greater run.
It is having a rigid frame so as to support the structure of the press. Moreover, it is also having an iron head, base, table which can easily accommodate heavy weighing workpieces.
The construction of this press is done from high-quality material. Due to this, it becomes suitable for the heavy duty applications. Furthermore, the spindle of the press is having a capacity of traveling up to 2 inches in both the direction. Due to this, we can use it easily for large size workpieces.
- We will be able to create accurate holes with this press.
- Setup consists of 1/3 Horsepower motor which provides the necessary power for running the press.
- The manufacturer also offers us with a warranty period of 2 years.
- However, the quality of holes is great we wouldn’t be able to make cuts at a good pace with this press.
- There are complaints about missing parts within the setup.
#2. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
Another versatile product, the SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press is offering us with a lot of perks about owning it. Whether it is a wide option of choosing the speed, or about the tilting work surface table. It allows us to make the holes in the way we want.
The permissible speed limit of this press is 570 RPM till 3050 RPM. Due to this, we will be able to choose different types of speed as per our convenience. Hence, drilling small to large size workpiece becomes a simple task for us.
Featuring better kind of tools within the setup, we will be able to make precise holes as per our requirement. The manufacturer offers us with the warranty period of 3 years. Hence, we would be having a lot of time for checking out the quality of our appliance.
It is having a tilt work surface area. Such kind of feature allows us to tilt the work surface table anywhere in between 0 to 45 degrees. Hence, making cuts at angles is also possible with this press.
- With the Laser X two beam, making the holes as per the precision becomes a simple task for us.
- Setup of this unit features a 1/2 Key Chuck. With the help of this chuck, we can also easily work out with the large size workpieces.
- The drive pulleys of this press are made up of plastic. Due to this, there is a question against its durability as well as power transmission.
- We wouldn’t recommend this press for heavy duty applications. It is suitable only for light work.
#3. Genesis GDP1005A 10″ 5-Speed 4.1 Amp Drill Press
A powerful appliance, the Genesis GDP1005A 10″ 5-Speed 4.1 Amp Drill Press is capable of carrying out heavy duty applications with an ease. It is highly versatile in nature, which makes the press suitable for any kind of usage we wish to do. Here are some of the benefits of owning this press:
With the help of this press, we will be getting 5 different speeds to choose from. This allows us to carry out drilling on any kind of material with a lot of comforts. Apart from that, we are also getting a warranty period of 2 years on the various parts and components within the setup of this unit.
We will be getting a work light so as to provide convenience and better visibility while we are working with this press. Furthermore, it is also offering us with an easy to access pulley in order to make a change in the speed with fewer efforts.
Setup of this press consists of a powerful motor amounting to the capacity of 4.1 amperes. Due to this, it becomes highly capable in nature and can easily carry out drilling on any workpiece without any kind of trouble.
- The table of this press is highly versatile. We can easily tilt up to 45 degrees, whereas it also allows us to rotate the table up to 360 degrees.
- It occupies less space. Hence, this press is an easy fit in your machine shop or wherever you want to use it.
- There are some instances where the machine starts producing noise while working. This might create an annoying experience for you.
- The construction of this press is done from the low-grade material that raises a question about its durability.
#4. Craftsman 10 in Bench Drill Press
Offering us with the options of choosing in between variable speeds, the Craftsman 10 in Bench Drill Press is another versatile pick for drilling appliances. For the people, to whom accuracy and precision are the main concern, it is a perfect choice to make. You will surely love having it at your place and carving out a beautiful piece of art with an ease.
This machine is offering us to choose the speed of the appliance in between 620 to 3100 RPM. Due to this, carrying out machining on a variety of workpiece made from different materials extremely convenient for us.
The construction of this press follows a rack and pinion mechanism. Due to this, carrying out the usage as well as aligning and adjusting it as per our requirement becomes a simple task for us.
It is having a quick belt tension and release feature, that makes it pretty much easier for us to change the speed of the press. Moreover, with the motor of capacity 6 Ampere, it can carry out heavy duty applications with an ease.
- With a heavy motor and highly capable mechanism, carrying out tough applications is possible with this press.
- This machine is a perfect pick for carrying out repetitive jobs.
- Aligning as well as guiding the workpieces as well as a rigid construction makes the machining simple for us.
- When comparing it with the other presses, the weight of this one is comparatively more. Hence, it requires additional care for handling as well as storage.
- It costs a bit more than other presses.
#5. Shop Fox W1667 1/2 HP 8-1/2-Inch Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press
A press specially made for those who often require working on tough jobs, the Shop Fox W1667 1/2 HP 8-1/2-Inch Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press is exactly the appliance you must own. With plenty of exciting features, it is surely the appliance that can satisfy a requirement of any operator.
We are having an option of choosing 5 different speed ranges in between 620 RPM to 3100 RPM. Due to this, working on the different kind of workpieces, made from a variety of material becomes a simple task for us.
The construction of this press is done from high-grade yet light in weight material. Hence, its handling will be trouble free for us. It just weighs 54 pounds, allowing us to carry and transfer it from one place to another, a lot simple.
Setup of this unit consists of an Oscillating Spindle as well as a Tilting table. With the help of such kind of components, working at any angle or on a workpiece with any kind of profile is a simple task for us. The machine also offers us with a safety switch so as to assure the safety of the operator while working on it. You can know everything about Drill Press Safety Precautions from experts.
- The warranty period on the various parts and components amount to 2 years. Hence, you will have a long time period for checking the made and quality of appliance.
- We can easily clean the machine after the drilling operation. It is having a convenient dust port for the same purpose.
- Although it comes with so many things for offering to us, it is almost double than the cost of other drill press.
Best Floor Drill Press Reviews of 2019 – Our Top 5 Picks
Here are our top 5 picks for the Best Drill Press under Floor type category. Kindly go through their review, merits as well as demerits of owning them and make a proper decision with regards to the choice of your press.
#1. Recommendations: JET J-2500 15-Inch 3/4-Horsepower 115-Volt Floor Model Drill Press
Featuring a rigid construction, the JET J-2500 15-Inch 3/4-Horsepower 115-Volt Floor Model Drill Press is a good choice for the Floor kind of Drill press. The main significance of such kind of press is that it allows us to work on the large size workpieces.
With this press, we are having an option of choosing in between 16 different speed ranges. We can vary the speed of the spindle in between 200 RPM to 3630 RPM. Hence, machining on workpiece made up from any material is possible with it.
We don’t need to worry about the quality and made of the appliance. It is built according to the precision, making the appliance durable and suitable for flexible operations. Moreover, the ball bearings within its enclosure extend the life of the appliance.
The table of the appliance tilts at 90 degrees. Furthermore, it is also having a cast iron head as well as completely lubricated ball bearings. With all such kind of qualities, it becomes the appliance made for superior quality job work.
- We can easily adjust the height of this press as per our convenience.
- It provides us with an accurate and precision result. Reducing the possibility of runout and error-free operation.
- Even the setup, as well as customization of the appliance, is a simple task for us. Therefore, we will find a lot of conveniences while using it.
- There are sharp edges at various locations in this press. Hence, we need to be careful while using it. Otherwise, it might cause an injury to us.
#2. Klutch 13in. Floor Mount Drill Press
A Floor Drill press available at a convenient cost, the Klutch 13in. Floor Mount Drill Press is offering us with all the necessary features that we look for in such appliances. Therefore, we will find a lot of conveniences while using it. Kindly go through the precise review of this appliance for getting more details about it.
The machine is offering us to choose in between 16 different speed ranges. We can easily select the speed of the appliance from 260 RPM to 3410 RPM. Hence, machining a workpiece made up from any kind of material will be a simple task for us.
Setup of this unit consists of a highly versatile motor with 0.75 Horsepower capacity. Furthermore, it is having a certification from CE that indicates it’s high made as well as quality. Due to this, we will be effectively working with this press as per our requirement.
Whether it is a metallic workpiece or a wooden one, carrying out drilling on them is very much easy for us. It is also having an LED light so as to focus perfectly on the workpiece, so as to reduce the risk of error. We will surely be able to gain accurate results and a precision workpiece with this machine.
- There is a tilting table within the setup of this press. Hence, we can easily work on a workpiece with any kind of profile.
- Setup of this unit also consists of a built-in chuck for the storage of the chuck keys.
- The machine is extremely light in weight. Thus, if you will mount a heavy workpiece on it, it might get imbalanced.
#3. WEN 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press
Providing all the necessary features to us, the WEN 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press is also having a large warranty period for assuring us to use it with a sigh of relief. It is having a large size work table and plenty other things. Here are some of the benefits of having it in our machine shop.
The machine allows us to work on the workpiece at different speeds. We can switch in between 16 different speed ranges in between 280 RPM to 3300 RPM. Also, the spindle travel range is 4 inches, allowing us to work on a large size workpiece with an ease.
The work table is of a large size with 12 inches length and width. Even, the head is made up of the same material. This allows us to easily accommodate a large workpiece on it and work with comfort. Such kind of construction also indicates durable as well as a reliable operation.
There is a work light on this machine. In this way, focusing on each and every part of the workpiece will become a simple task for us. We wouldn’t find any kind of vibration while using it.
- Checking the status of this machine while we are using it is extremely simple with the Digital Speed Runout.
- With the powerful 8.6 Ampere capacity induction motor, we can carry out drilling on any kind of workpiece with an ease.
- The warranty period on the various parts and components within the setup of this press amounts to 2 years.
- Assembling this drill press requires making a lot of efforts. You will require laying a lot of efforts for the same.
- The instruction manual that you will get with this press is a little bit confusing.
#4. Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Floor Drill Press
Featuring a solid construction, the Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Floor Drill Press is offering us with a reliable operation. Clean it easily with the pair of dust ports within it’s setup. Here are some of the plus points of having this machine at your home.
With the variable speed selection mode, we can easily select in between 250 RPM to 3050 RPM. There are 12 different options available to us for selection in the above-given speed range. There are plenty of accessories which will make it convenient for us to use this press.
Featuring a solid floor model design, we can also find sanding drums within the setup of this Floor drill press. There are also a couple of dust ports with the help of which we can clean it easily. Also, there isn’t any kind of possibility of heat buildups while working with this machine.
We can carry out both drilling as well as sanding operation with the help of this press. There is an oscillating spindle within the setup of this appliance with the help of which we can easily carry out efficient contour sanding. It is highly versatile in nature with the tool-free steps.
- The construction of this press is extremely powerful, making it suitable for heavy duty applications.
- It works with utmost accuracy and precision. We will be able to carve out workpieces with accurate dimensions using this machine.
- You must setup a Drill Press properly else this machine makes a terrible noise while operating. Hence, we must take a proper care while setting it up at our place.
#5. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
A highly capable appliance, the Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press consists of all the features that you are looking for in a drill press. Ranging from a wide speed range, till a long warranty period. We will get everything that you wish for in a drill press.
We are having an option of selecting between 170 RPM to 3000 RPM as the speed of the spindle. Due to this, carrying out drilling on any kind of workpiece made up from any kind of material becomes a simple task. With the Auto-tensioning belt drive system, we can easily change the speed of the belt.
The construction of this Floor Drill Press is extremely robust. We can easily place heavy workpieces on it and can carry out drilling on them with the help of this drill press.
Drilling deeper holes in the workpiece is possible with the quill stroke. It is also suitable for carrying out repetitive job works. We can also locate micro-adjustable depth stops as well as an independent depth scale in the appliance. All this makes extremely convenient for us to us the press in the way we want.
- The machine is extremely user-friendly. We can easily make out holes with it, without much amount of efforts.
- If you want to make holes with utmost precision and accuracy, then this is the appliance you must go for.
- The manufacturer also offers us with a long warranty period of 5 years. No other press comes up with such a long warranty period.
- Considering the cost of other press, the cost of the Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press is a lot more.
Buyers Guide To A Drill Press
Here are some of the factors that might affect your choice of a Drill Press. Kindly go through each of them and get the best kind of Drill Press that will be helpful to you.
Size and Construction of the Drill Press
Our requirement from the Drill Press varies from person to person. Here are some of the parts and components we must check before getting a drill press.
Base: The main purpose of the base is to give a proper kind of foundation to the drill press. Due to this, it is necessary for the base to be strong enough to resist the load on it. It should stay firm in all kind of circumstances. Apart from that, we must also take proper kind of care that it must remain flat and doesn’t imbalance the machine.
Column: The column is made for supporting the structure of the drill press. On it, the various necessary items such as the motor, running mechanism as well as the work surface are mounted. It should be rigid in nature as well as made up of solid materials. Otherwise, it’s bending can affect the whole structure of the machine.
Table: We use the table for accommodating the workpiece on which we have to make cuts. Therefore, it is necessary for the table to be tough in nature. Moreover, we must also take care that the workpiece is properly clamped on the table. For it, it is essential for it to have slots in a proper manner.
Head: The head is basically the running mechanism that initiates the proper working of the Drill Press. It should have proper electrical connections. Additionally, the system shouldn’t be complex and we must be easily able to operate it.
Checking all these accessories as well as components, we will be getting a Drill Press that will be working efficiently with us. Besides that, it would be a lot convenient for us to use the machine with proper design considerations.
The Electrical Supply
Checking the electrical supply to the drill press is also very much necessary. The machine runs on the electricity. Due to this, it is utmost necessary to carry out the electrical connection in a proper manner.
There shouldn’t be any kind of loose connections as well as the amount of electrical supply should be in a proper manner. We must check the quality of the components such as that of the motor and of electricity board.
Checking the Speed of the Drill Press
At a different speed of the Drill Press, we can carry out the different kind of operation. Due to this, it is necessary for us to check out the speed of same. We must take a note of horsepower of the machine and that of the speeds on which it can run.
Due to this, we can effectively carry out the Production, Planning and Control of the workpiece on which we have to work.
Various dimensions of the Drill Press
The dimensional considerations of the drill press affect the kind of workpiece that we can accommodate on the press. Hence, first of all, we need to determine our actual requirement from the drill press.
Such as the size of the workpiece we actually work on. The kind of cutting process we need to carry out and a lot more. Our drill press must be able to accommodate them and should work effectively in all kind of circumstances.
Calculating the Angle and Inclination of the Press
There is an adjustable table in the drill press that we can use for accommodating the workpiece. In some of the workpieces, we often require making cuts on angles.
Whereas, we also require carrying out machining even on the workpieces with a circular profile. In such kind of circumstances, the work table needs to be inclined at a sufficient angle. Due to this, we need to calculate the angle and inclination limit of the drill press.
Functioning of the Press
There are various kind of functions that we can carry out with the use of the Drill Press. Such as drilling the holes, reaming them, for creating slots and a lot more. We must be easily able to create various kind of workpieces with it, without any kind of trouble.
Safety Considerations to keep in Mind
Safety of the operator as well as that of the appliance is an essential feature to consider. Here are some of the points that we have to keep in mind so as to assure the safety.
- The drill press must feature a rigid construction. It’s various parts and accessories should be of high-quality and shouldn’t get worn out. In this way, we can increase their durability. Because the breaking of parts can cause severe accidents.
- The base of the machine should be flat in nature. Apart from that, it should be accurate and must be able to resist uneven loads. In this way, it can offer us with a great convenience while operating the machine and forming workpieces with precision.
- Considering the quality of Iron Head is also necessary for us. It must be made up of high-grade elements and support the drill bits in a proper manner.
- The chuck in the workpiece must be able to hold the workpiece in a proper manner. We must be able to tighten it with an ease. Apart from that, it must also support the workpiece in a proper manner.
These are some of the essential points one should keep in mind as a Buyers Guide to a Drill Press. And we are sure, you will get better quality drill press with the help of these points.
We will also be able to increase the productivity of our drill press keeping these points in mind. Hence, following these guidelines is utmost necessary.
It is necessary for us to be careful before getting anything. The present comprehensive article on, The Ultimate Buyers Guide To A Drill Press – All you need to know is an overview of the necessary points we should keep in mind while getting a drill press. All the major factors that might make an impact on your choice of Drill Press are clearly stated here.
How to make a Drill Press Stand?
Here are the simple steps with the help of which you can easily establish a Drill Press Stand at your place. Kindly go through the below-given procedure and make a Drill Press Stand at your place with an ease.
Start with the Work Plan
First of all, you have to decide the work plan for making the Drill Press stand. Such as the design of the stand, materials that you will require, diagrams, component. You have to keep all the things ready and must consider each and everything so as to form a drill press stand.
Get the components
Next, you have to prepare all the components necessary for making a Drill Press stand. These components include wheels, structure, rods, base, boards and a lot more. Properly making a note of all these components, you have to make it sure to get each of these parts.
Assembling the right thing at the right place
Now, you have to keep the right thing at the right place. For making it possible, first of all, you have to properly study the design of the drill press stand. Next, we have to make it sure to keep the dimensions of each of these components within the permissible limits.
Finishing the Structure
Once you have set all the things at their proper place, you have to provide proper finishing to it. Making a cut on each and every edge, you have to make it sure that no sharp boundaries remain within the setup of the Drill press stand. Otherwise, it might get you an injury.
Mounting the Drill Press
In the last step, you have to mount the drill press on the stand. While mounting, you have to make it sure to use all the nuts, bolts and fasteners so as to create a firm joint. You have to make it sure that the structure of the press stand shouldn’t be affected even under frequent loads.
An Introduction to Various Drill Press Parts
Below are the various parts of a Drill Press. Kindly go through them and understand their significance and major role within the structure of the press.
The head is the brain of the drill press. It consists of all the components, the mechanism as well as gear system that is necessary for carrying out the working of the machine. Hence, the head plays a major role in the working of the drill machine.
The spindle is the component which supports the structure of the drill press. It provides the necessary strength. Moreover, we can also easily mount all the other components on this spindle. This makes the construction and assembly extremely simple for us.
The main purpose of the drill press chuck is to make the holes in the workpiece. We mount the cutting tool on the chuck. As soon as the electric power reaches the chuck, it starts rotating. With the rotation of chuck, the tool also rotates and as we apply the pressure on it, the cutting process initiates.
The motor acts as the power transmission system of the drill machine. As soon as we switch on the electric power, the motor supplies the power to the driving mechanism. The driving mechanism rotates, which in turn rotates the chuck and the machine operates.
We use the table for placing the various kind of workpieces on which we have to make the holes. Therefore, it is necessary that the construction of the table should be extremely rigid. It must be able to sustain a large amount of load laid upon it.
The main purpose of the base is to maintain the stability of the machine. It is necessary for the base to be able to sit flat on the work surface area. Otherwise, it might alter the drilling procedure. The base should be made up of rigid and hardened material.
How to use a Drill Press?
Before getting any appliance, it is necessary for us to know the procedure of using it. Here is the in-depth method, with the proper study of which you can easily use a Drill press.
- Using the drilling machine is a simple task. First of all, you have to begin with the setting up of the press. So as to set it up, you have to prepare the fixture first. Keeping the vice in the proper way, you have to set it in a way so that it can easily accommodate the workpiece in it.
- Next, you have to attach the proper cutting tool to the chuck. With the help of this cutting tool, we can easily carry out the procedure of making holes in the workpiece.
- Now, we have to keep the workpiece on the table of the drill press. You have to be careful that the workpiece is in a proper position. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be able to make a desirable hole in the workpiece.
Here in our present comprehensive article on, 10 Best Drill Press Reviews of 2017 – Top Models Tested and Compared!! we have given an overview of 10 Best Drill Press you can get for carrying out woodworking at your home. All the presses on this list are having their own kind of benefit about having them. However, the requirement of each and every consumer differs from each other. Hence, it is essential to consider a lot of things before getting the press for your home.
Apart from that, we have also provided you with the valuable information necessary to keep in mind while dealing with the drill press. Properly going through these guidelines, you will be able to gain maximum benefit from your Best Drill press.
We hope that beingwoodworker.com's compilation will be helpful to you for making any kind of decision regarding the press. You will surely get the Best Drill Press if you consider these points in your mind.